Re: Fundamental Difference Between Lyricsto and Addlyrics

From: Miguel Abrams
Subject: Re: Fundamental Difference Between Lyricsto and Addlyrics
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 16:06:43 -0500

perfect
can't thank you enough, David, for this clarification.
cheers,
Michael

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 3:02 PM David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Miguel Abrams <address@hidden> writes:

> I am a 'newbie ' learning this wonderful text based notation coding
> capability.
>
> I fail to perceive, through user documentation, the 'fundamental'
> difference between the two commands :
>
> Lilypond Version (2.19.55)
>
> lyricsto   and   addlyrics
>
> Perhaps someone might be able clarify this distinction for me?

There is no fundamental difference.  \addlyrics picks the context to
attach to automagically based on syntax.  It may make a bad choice.
\lyricsto gets the context to attach to named explicitly, so it is more
reliable and can be used in more circumstances.

As a handwavy rule, for simple stuff with lyrics, \addlyrics may be
fine.  If you have more complicated settings, \lyricsto may be the safer
choice.

--
David Kastrup