Re: license question

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: license question
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 20:25:43 +0100

David Nalesnik <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a question concerning the GPL.  Is it permissible for an app
> under a GPL-incompatible license to provide output in LilyPond code?
> For example, could Finale provide a Finale->LilyPond converter even
> though the mechanics are shrouded in mystery?

Most certainly so.  Making a combined application running in the same
process space would be a problem, but calling LilyPond as an executable
is pretty uncontroversial.  If you distribute it as an aggregate
solution, you need to provide the source of the LilyPond component (as
it is being used) on request or by default.  But running it as a server
is unproblematic.

But if you don't even include LilyPond but produce LilyPond output, no
license comes into play.  I mean, unless your output contains
copyrightable code taken from somewhere else.

--
David Kastrup