Re: Prall in a staff space

From: Tyler Mitchell
Subject: Re: Prall in a staff space
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 22:48:41 -0800

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 12:58:03AM -0800, Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> I am attempting to put a prall within the staff, in spaces only,
> similar to how a tenuto works.
>
> [...]
>
> How does LilyPond know to place the tenuto within the staff, but
> the prall outside of it? And how does it determine that the tenuto
> should be placed in a space, but the prall should be placed on a
> line?

I finally picked this up nearly a year later. After a bit of
reading of scm/script.scm I could see the differences between the
various articulations. The 'tenuto' definition itself was
particularly helpful.

Setting the 'quantize-position' property seems to do the trick,
combined with a reduction of padding, and a font-size that keeps
the glyph from touching the ledger lines.

This thread helped me to figure out how to define a new
articulation:

http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Creating-new-articulation-adding-to-an-internal-alist-td172689.html

The end result:

\version "2.19.83"
\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    scriptDefinitions = #(append default-script-alist
                           (list
                            `("quilisma"
                               . (
                                   (script-stencil . (feta . ("prall" .
"prall")))
                                   (font-size . -2.5)
                                   (padding . -0.05)
                                   (avoid-slur . inside)
                                   (quantize-position . #t)
                                   (direction . ,UP)))))
  }
  \context { \Staff \remove Time_signature_engraver }
}
quilisma = #(make-articulation "quilisma")
\score {
  {
    \cadenzaOn \override Stem.length = #0 \slurDown \stemUp
    g'^-( a'-\quilisma b')
    a'^-( b'-\quilisma c'')

Tyler