Re: [Scheme coding] turning a list into a markup/string

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: [Scheme coding] turning a list into a markup/string
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 06:47:33 -0600

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 1:33 AM Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 21.01.2020, 20:11 -0500 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
> > or the life of me, I can’t quite figure out where exactly such a
> > construct would appear in the code. Everywhere I try throws
> > [different] errors. =(
>
> I can promise you, it will be that way for a very long time.
> But I can also promise you that at some point (and if you continue at
> that pace that may be rather sooner than later) the errors will stop
> scaring you and rather point you in the right direction.
>
> Remember when Mike coded the original function for you? He typed
> something in to express an idea - and I think *every* such attempt
> failed on first try. However, the error message made it immediately
> clear to him where the mistake would be, he counted parenthesis and
> directly fixed it.

Exactly.  Even though I took Mike's original more or less as-is and
just added a couple of things,
I still got my fair share of errors.  With my memory I *always* end up
looking up a few things.

The console messages help enormously.

As does syntax highlighting.  I'm awful at counting parentheses, and
luckily I never have to do it.

Best,
David