Re: [Scheme coding] how to turn pitches into music

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: [Scheme coding] how to turn pitches into music
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 12:21:09 -0800

On 2020-01-25 11:15 am, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi again!

Tried taking your advice, and building the custom context from
scratch. The problem, of course, is that I don’t know all the
engravers and what they do (a.k.a. why they’re needed)… and the
documentation doesn’t exactly make everything crystal clear in that
regard.

If you permit me to be honest: I would not have the foggiest idea either. (:

But clearly that doesn’t Do The Right Thing™. Any guidance would be appreciated.

The Internals Reference does list which engravers produce which grobs, and there is always the source code itself. The problem though is knowing what you are looking for. This is especially tricky when you have normally invisible grobs, since their very existence is a mystery before pulling back the curtain.

LSR 280 [1] might be handy too. In fact, it shows that a number of relevant engravers are in the Voice, not the Staff by default. This suggests we might need both a custom RowReducedStaff and RowReducedVoice to reach the goal.

[1]: http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=280

-- Aaron Hill