Grace notes in the first measure mess up the layout

From: Arle Lommel
Subject: Grace notes in the first measure mess up the layout
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2020 22:03:40 -0500

I’m running into a major layout fault when I have a grace note in the first measure of a piece. Measures with a grace note look as expected, but all other staves are *really* ugly.

I’m assuming this is *not* the intended behavior and conjecture it is happening because Lilypond sees the grace note as inhabiting a time before the measure starts and so kicks the key signature and clef to appear to the right of the grace note . Removing the grace note gets everything looking right.

How can I get this to display as expected?

MWE:

\version "2.19.83"

vocal = \relative c'' {
  \clef treble