Re: Question on cross-staff

From: Paolo Prete
Subject: Re: Question on cross-staff
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 01:55:18 +0100

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 1:04 AM Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Paolo,

I have experimented with this in the past. As far as I know it cannot be
done. You have to use the cross staff functions.

What do you say is buggy?

Hi Andrew,

I just found a way to obtain this, through a hack.
I just have to put a fake note on the stem, then

1) hide nothead + ledgers + accidentals
2) \once \override NoteHead.Y-offset = 0  (so that clefs and ottavations don't interfere)
3)  \tag #'display for the hidden notehead (so that it doesn't play in midi stuff)

That said, the cross-staff functions are very buggy (many collisions). It would be long to list all the problems I encountered, but look to this post (which confirms what I'm saying):
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/cross-staff-bug-td164874.html

It's quite old, but it seems that the issues has not been solved meanwhile.

Given that cross staff can be obtained by  1) \change Staff  AND/OR   2) crossStaff commands, I'm experiencing that if I remove at least 1), bugs seem to be reduced as well.
I'm doing some tests, and update the ML as soon as I have interesting results.

Best,