Re: Function operating on header

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Function operating on header
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 20:36:14 +0100

Dear Aaron,

thank you for your mail.

> It may be your intention, but markup->string strips out formatting.

Yes, it is my intention. I want to work with strings and not markup as I
want to completely separate the formatting from the header fields.

> Next, why use strings and string-append at all?

Because that is just a tiny example. I would like to create links to CC
licenses based on a license field etc.
What I am lacking here still, is how to do \with-url in Scheme or a
mechanism to show parts only under a certain condition:

\markup { "Text" ??if \license then \with-url #"url" "License" endif?? }

> Finally, \fromproperty is important as it defers the evaluation of the
> property.  Using \title would give you the current value whereas
> \fromproperty #'header:title can accommodate changes to the property.

And that’s exactly why \fromproperty is the wrong tool for me here as I
want to change the header fields based on what is there now not later.

Cheers,
Joram