Re: Transposing instruments

From: antlists
Subject: Re: Transposing instruments
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 23:18:13 +0000

On 13/03/2020 11:29, Francisco Vila wrote:
So my question for Kieren is, for large scores involving transposing wind instruments along with strings etc, how do you manage this by using only clefs and no transposition?

This is a double question, seeing as wind instruments rarely transpose by an octave. For example, I play the trombone, which is either written in bass clef concert, or in treble transposed by a ninth. I just don't worry about the 8s on the clef, I transpose a second and use the treble_8 clef "as is". Nobody's commented on that extra little 8 so far ... :-)

Cheers,

Wol