Vertical alignment of RehearsalMarks

From: Peter Crighton
Subject: Vertical alignment of RehearsalMarks
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 18:28:10 +0100

Hello all,

how would I go about trying to have rehearsal marks all be vertically aligned the exact same way, regardless of whether there are near objects that take up space?

\version "2.20.0"

\relative a' {
  \once \override Score.RehearsalMark.extra-offset = #'(0 . -3.9)
  \mark \default
  b1 \break
  \once \override Score.RehearsalMark.extra-offset = #'(0 . -5.8)
  \mark \default
  b1
}

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \override RehearsalMark.break-align-symbols = #'(left-edge)

I could do this with offsets like above, but I need a common baseline for all marks, so that I don’t have to manually adjust every single one.
Is it possible to make LilyPond think they don’t take up any space or something, so they don’t get affected in their placement by other objects like bar numbers in this example?
My end goal is to have rehearsal marks appear in front of a staff, vertically centered and horizontally aligned with each other (which they already do with break-align-symbols set to left-edge – I’ll shift them to the left a bit in the end).

Thanks,
Peter

--
Peter Crighton | Musician & Music Engraver based in Mainz, Germany
http://www.petercrighton.de