Re: Remote Ensemble Playing

From: Sandro Santilli
Subject: Re: Remote Ensemble Playing
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 08:57:43 +0200

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 11:00:56AM -0000, Peter Gentry wrote:
> I appreciate this is off topic but in these times of social isolation does
> anyone have any tips. Clearly latency is the main issue - I wonder could
> this be reduced by say hosting a Zoom meeting on a private router - maybe
> only one video for a conductor. Experience suggests that a latency of 25ms
> is not low enough.

The best experience I had with online playing was with ninjam:
https://www.cockos.com/ninjam/

It's an open protocol and free software implementation of a server
and a few clients (text, console, gui) for online jamming.

The idea is that everyone play on a tick (Beats Per Minute) and
everyone is ensured to always hear some previous recording of
anyone else on a defined cycle/interval (Beats Per Interval).

Depending on how the server is configured (easy to setup) the
BPM and BPI values can be fixed or driven by votes. Protocol
includes a chat and is text based for commands (like: "!vote bpm 60").

Some public servers do exist, which also support automatic recording
of resulting sessions ("autosong", the software doing this, is also
part of the main ninjam source code repository).

See http://ninbot.com/pubservers for a community curated list of
public servers. See top-level page for recordings of jams played
on ninbot.com servers.

An easy to setup QT based free software client is http://jamtaba.com

--strk;