Re: Crash with bars-per-line-engraver as of LSR snippet id=838

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Crash with bars-per-line-engraver as of LSR snippet id=838
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2020 11:23:39 +0200

Am Mi., 8. Apr. 2020 um 16:13 Uhr schrieb Michael Gerdau <address@hidden>:

> Hi Kieren,
>
> >> I'm playing with the bars-per-line-engraver as of LSR
> >> http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=838
> >>
> >> When I increase the number of bars in my piece beyond a certain amount
> >> (3500-4000 in my MWE) lilypond crashes with an access violation under
> >> linux.
> >
> > Does that also happen with David Kastrup’s "bar-keeper" engraver?
> > <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-06/msg00239.html>
>
> Thank you for that suggestion. I had saved the code back then but forgot
> about it. Unfortunately it crashes likewise for me. See attached MWE.
>
> Kind regards,
> Michael
> --
>  Michael Gerdau       email: address@hidden
>  GPG-keys available on request or at public keyserver

I doubt it's caused by any custom-engraver.
At least on my machine this code:

\paper {
  systems-per-page = #5
}

music = \absolute {
    \repeat unfold 2000 {
      d'8 f' a' g'  d' f' b' d' d'8 f' a' g'  d' f' b' d' \break

\new Staff { \music }

already fails with:
[...]
Preprocessing graphical objects...terminate called after throwing an
instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  St9bad_alloc
Aborted (core dumped)

on Ubuntu 64-bit 18.04 for any tested version (2.18.2 up to current master)

Cheers,
  Harm