Re: SystemStart changes after stop/startStaff - how to get it back

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: SystemStart changes after stop/startStaff - how to get it back
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2020 15:24:14 +0000

On 4/12/20, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
> Over the last decades I tried again and again to find a better
> workaround, with less manual work.

Apparently we stumbled upon your white whale :-)

> I now come up with the attached.

Brilliant.  Although it’s still a workaround.

> To get the gaps in container-contexts one would need to drop the
> relevant commands. No manual figuring out any values (apart from the
> width of the gap).

And even that may not be indispensable; AFAIK that’s not something
ever required when dealing with mono-staff systems.

The nicer implementation I can think of would be to have some
\stopSystem \startSystem switch (possibly with the corresponding new
event interfaces as well), with the latter reprinting all system-start
grobs (possibly sans BarNumber). It may be cleaner that way so that
the system delimiter engraver doesn’t need to bother which staves are
or aren’t stopped at the given moment.

That being said, I do realize that it would imply extending, and
rewriting considerable parts of, the engraver.

> I'll continue research after some break ;)

Thanks for looking into it! Should we open tracker pages meanwhile?
(The SystemStart 'brace thing looks like an intrinsically different
issue.)

Cheers,
V.