Re: Warning on missing fonts

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Warning on missing fonts
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 09:58:49 -0500

On Fri 17 Apr 2020 at 22:32:47 (+1000), Andrew Bernard wrote:
> My memory may be faulty but I thought lilypond when compiling reports
> on missing fonts. Version 2.20.0 does not. Is there a way to enable
> this instaed of only silently substituting (which sometimes I don't
> notice when in a hurry).

Not being conversant with font handling, I can only suggest a
workaround, which is to add a call of pdffonts at the end of
your lilypond script¹:

$ pdffonts turkey-carol/vocal.pdf
name                         type     encoding emb sub uni object ID
---------------------------- -------- -------- --- --- --- ---------
XGQZVR+Emmentaler-14         Type 1C  Custom   yes yes no      16  0
TZUBJS+Emmentaler-16         Type 1C  Custom   yes yes yes     12  0
DRGFSU+TeXGyreSchola-Bold    Type 1C  WinAnsi  yes yes no       8  0
HKSZJO+TeXGyreSchola-Italic  Type 1C  WinAnsi  yes yes no      14  0
SDCKJA+TeXGyreSchola-Regular Type 1C  Custom   yes yes yes     10  0
OOJTOW+Emmentaler-11         Type 1C  Custom   yes yes no      28  0
$

… piped into   grep -v   to eliminate fonts which you use/know about
(which would be all of them here):

$ grep -v -e '^name ' -e '^-' -e 'Emmentaler-1[146]' -e 'TeXGyreSchola-Bold' -e
'TeXGyreSchola-Italic' -e 'TeXGyreSchola-Regular'

Typically, one would use a file for the numerous patterns:

$ pdffonts turkey-carol/vocal.pdf | grep -v -f some-file

$ cat some-file
^name
^-
Emmentaler-1[146]
TeXGyreSchola-Bold
TeXGyreSchola-Italic
TeXGyreSchola-Regular
$

… so any output would be fonts to suspect of being substitutes
(or else forgotten fonts, which you could add to some-file).

¹ I squeezed the spacing to shorten the lines.

Cheers,
David.