Using shortVocalName for stanza numbers on every system

From: Benjamin Bloomfield
Subject: Using shortVocalName for stanza numbers on every system
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 10:13:11 -0400

I've been using shortVocalName to engrave stanza numbers at the beginnings of systems, but I'm running into trouble with occasional collisions with the first LyricText:
image.png
Here is my lilypond code:
\version "2.20.0"
\score {
  <<
    \new Staff
    <<
      \clef "treble"
      \new Voice = "sop" { c'4 \bar "" \break c' }

    {
<<
  \new Lyrics  \lyricsto sop { \lyricmode {
    \set stanza = "2. "
    \set shortVocalName = "2. "
    Should Should
  }}

\layout {
  \context { \Lyrics
    \override InstrumentName.direction = #RIGHT
    \override InstrumentName.padding = #1.5

I'm not sure how to go about automatically avoiding these collisions, but it seems like there should be a relatively simple way to do so.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Benjamin Bloomfield