Re: Stanzas with different rhythms

From: Fr. Samuel Springuel
Subject: Re: Stanzas with different rhythms
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 15:20:31 -0400

> On 4 May, 2020, at 12:45 PM, David Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Of course, you can break up the music into several variables
> from which you assemble the different versions, in order to
> localise the variation and make it easier to maintain.

So, attached is my first go at that sort of “assembly-required” structure.
Originally I defined several music variables with “_a”, “_b”, etc. suffixes
(preserved for alt_music).  However, I recalled from earlier list activity that
one could also use “.1”, “.2”, etc. in variable names.  Now, as I understanding
it, if I define music variables main_music.1, main_music.2, etc. then the
underlying scheme creates a single variable main_music which is a list of
pairs.  Each pair consists of the number as the first element (car) and the
musical contents as the second element (cdr).  Now, I can just manually build
up the whole main melody using { \main_music.1 \main_music.2 … } (as is
currently done in the attached), but the scheme construction of it as a list
got me thinking, is there a way to programmatically accomplish this
concatenation?

Now, I’m almost certain the answer is yes (at least in principle), but before I
start trying to write a music function that does this, I want to make sure that
such a function doesn’t already exist.  If it doesn’t, I’d like to know from
the scheme experts out there if there are any technical reasons why such a
function hasn’t been written, or if it’s simply a case of no one’s thought of
trying this before.

Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey