Re: Making Lilypond faster

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Making Lilypond faster
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2020 13:00:58 +0200

Am Mi., 3. Juni 2020 um 12:33 Uhr schrieb Paolo Prete <paolopr976@gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
> after using 2.19.84 for a while, it seems to me that it is quite faster than
> the previous one (2.19.83).
>
> 1) Now I wonder if there are some later versions (or git snapshots) even
> faster: do you have any feedback about this?
>
> 2) Also: is there a way to optimize (when compiling a snapshot) the speed of
> a release for linux (for example: by choosing a specific version of a
> dependent library)?
>
> 3) What is the status of Guile 3 support? AFAIK, much of the discussed speed
> depends on it
>
> thanks!

Hi Paolo,

can't say anything to 1) or 2)

ad 3)
LilyPond still uses guile-1.8, if you observe some speedup, then
because of some optimisations.

Experimental builds with guile-2 showed a huge slow down, the last
time I tried it out, which is admittedly a while back.
Though, there is continuous hard work to improve the situation. I
should try it out again...

The suggestion to focus on guile-3 makes no sense at the moment,
because it is not broadly in the distros, afaict.

Cheers,
  Harm