Re: Use an existing Voice in a polyphonic passage

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Use an existing Voice in a polyphonic passage
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 22:28:25 +0200

<sir.teddy.the.first@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> is there a way to "continue" with the voice "myVoice" in the second
> polyphonic passage instead of creating a new one so that the lyrics "wordsI"
> carry on and I don't have to create an additional lyrics context?

Well, apart from the continuation of the second voice lyrics (I'd just
use a single << >> construct here so that Voice "2" continues, and use
\skip while it pauses), this should be something like

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\version "2.20.0"

wordsI = \lyricmode {
  This is a test "1" "2"
  This is a test "1" "2"
}

wordsII = {
  \lyricmode { te -- st te --st }
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff = "testStaff" {
      \new Voice = "first" \relative c'{
        c4 d e f |
        \voices "first", 2
        <<
          { \voiceOne c'2 g \oneVoice } \\
          { g f }

        c4 d e f |
        \voices "first", 2
        <<
          { \voiceOne c'2 g \oneVoice } \\
          { g f }

    \new Lyrics = "firstVoice" {
      \lyricsto "first" \wordsI
    }
    {
      \new Lyrics = "secondVoice" \with { alignAboveContext = "testStaff" }
      \lyricsto "2" \wordsII

--
David Kastrup