best practice for score structure

From: Claire Meyer
Subject: best practice for score structure
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2020 17:03:04 +0200

Hi everybody,

I'm a new user (~1 month old) wondering about best practice for score structure. Let's say I've got a piano score, with two voices per hand, and the occasional third voice here and there, and all my dynamics  between the two staves of the piano. Then I'll probably write it with :
- four variables for my four voices (and add the occasional additional voices in those when needed)
- one variable for the dynamics

And round everything nicely in my score (with some intermediate variables, like one for each hand etc...).

But I have yet to find a place that seems like good practice (let alone best practice) for the structural aspects of my score, like bars and voltas, especially when they stop being trivial. I don't mind much when I've got one "||" bar at the end of my score to put it wherever. But when I have several voltas, dal segnos, alternative ends, special bars, etc... I wonder where is the best place to write that. Maybe in a null voice, like for lyrics that aren't aligned with any written rhythm ? Should I write it in each voice ?

Thanks,
Claire