Arguments before functions

From: Fr. Samuel Springuel
Subject: Arguments before functions
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2020 14:16:10 -0400

Is there a way for a music function to operate on the note that precedes it?

I’m transcribing chant and have lots of music where I transcribed the note just
before the bar as a quarter note (the same as other non-reciting notes in the
measure):

{ \cadenzaOn g'1 c'4 f'  \bar "|" }

I’ve been asked now to lengthen the note just before the bar by making it into
a dotted quarter:

{ \cadenzaOn g'1 c'4 f'4.  \bar "|" }

What I’d like to know is if there’s a way that I can modify the \bar function
so that it automatically changes the duration of the note just before it, or if
I have to break out the text replacement tools to modify all my source files.

As a further complication, the dotted quarter notation hasn’t been settled yet,
as there are some arguing for making it a quarter with a tenuto and others for
a half note, so I’d really like a function that allows me to switch between
those three options (dotted quarter, quarter with tenuto, or half note)
relatively easily.

Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey