Re: Springs and rods

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Springs and rods
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 10:31:29 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Bernard" <andrew.bernard@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 10:15 AM
Subject: Springs and rods

There are some things in lilypond that I just think are not explained
anywhere. What is this springs-and-rods business? For Hairpins, I read
this?

minimum-length (dimension, in staff space):
2.0

Try to make a spanner at least this long, normally in the horizontal
direction. This requires an appropriate callback for the
springs-and-rods property. If added to a Tie, this sets the minimum
distance between noteheads.

And:
springs-and-rods (boolean):
ly:spanner::set-spacing-rods

Dummy variable for triggering spacing routines.

With all due respect to our fantastic developers, I find this
unintelligible and less than helpful. What is springs-and-rods
supposed to be set to: ly:spanner::set-spacing-rods, or ##t, or ##f
and when, and why? What exactly is meant by 'dummy' in this context?
I use that word to mean a temporary placeholder, but there are many
usages. WHat is 'an appropriate callback'? No example is provided.

If I had any idea at all about this I would write a small section in
the NR on it and submit it, but I am stumped. if this _is_ in the NR,
please let me know.

There is some documentation here:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/spanners

Is this what you need?