Attempting to tie chords across a measure bar fails for me (six beats in

From: Kenneth Wolcott
Subject: Attempting to tie chords across a measure bar fails for me (six beats in 4/4)
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2020 14:54:45 -0700

Hi;

  I'm still learning how to use Lilypond.

I'm using version 2.20.0

  I have an example of some piano music which I am trying to engrave
with Lilypond that has chords in the left hand which are tied, but the
tie fails.  I have a 4/4 time signature. The pattern is a whole note
tied to half note, both are the same triad. Do I have to separate the
triad into different voices to get the chord to become a tie?

Thanks,
Ken Wolcott