Re: partCombine confused by tags

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: partCombine confused by tags
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 20:06:56 +0200

David Sumbler <david@aeolia.co.uk> writes:

> I have just spent half a day trying to work out why one staff in my
> orchestral score extends beyond the final barline.
>
> Eventually I found out that it is because \partCombine seems only
> partially to understand tags.

That is a misstatement.  \partCombine does not use tags in any manner.
It plays the music it is given and records the results.  Then it
combines the played results.  I am surprised that \keepWithTag should
actually be doing anything here.

> The following example illustrates this:
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> \version "2.21.2"
>
> instA = {
>   b'4
>   \tag #'versionI c''
>   \tag #'versionII d''
>   b'2 }
> instB = {
>   g'4 g' g'2 }
>
> \score {
>   \keepWithTag #'(versionI)
>   \partCombine \instA \instB
> }

That won't work.  You need to use
\partCombine \keepWithTag versionI \instA \instB

instead.

--
David Kastrup