font construction

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: font construction
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 21:17:13 +0200

Hi all,

Is there any documentation floating around on how fonts for LilyPond are actually built? I know Abraham Lee has successfully made some new ones, but is he the only guy now that knows the process? I tried fiddling with working on one, but that was just by opening an extant font and replacing glyphs. Somehow I think that approach might lead to unexpected consequences or is it as simple as that?

regards,
Shane Brandes

Hi,

What do you want to achieve?

For just including special glyphs, you can take a look at lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/notation/fonts.html.

For creating an entire font, you could replicate the structure of Emmentaler, I guess, or make a stylesheet (since a new font usually requires different defaults for various values). You may take inspiration at https://github.com/openlilylib/notation-fonts.

This area is being worked on currently, with Owen Lamb having conducted a Google Summer of Code project to improve SMuFL support. Eventually, it should be possible to get it right by following the SMuFL specification. Maybe he can provide you with more details. There is also this blog post:

https://lilypondblog.org/2020/08/google-summer-of-code-2020-smufl/

Best,
Jean