Re: Possibly silly question but…

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: Possibly silly question but…
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 19:36:22 -0800

"Hugh S. Myers" <hsmyers@gmail.com> writes:

I've been working on a very small piece of LaTex (with musixtex) code to create scale tablature. I'm using a clef based on fracture gothic but in comparison, it is a little heavy for my taste and I'd like to either duplicate the Lilypond TAB clef or similar. Hence my question. If it is based on a font, which one? If not I'll continue to examine similar fonts in my collection. I've no idea what you mean by 'the
real question', but this is pretty much it…

Do you need a real duplicate, or just close?

The general style of font you’d be looking for is a chancery italic, for example TeX Gyre Chorus or something along those lines. IMO that style - I just mean the idea of using vertically-set all-caps chancery italic, I’m not blaming any certain font - is ugly as can be, but it IS what seems to get used most of the time and therefore what people have come to expect. If I had my own choice to make it look better, I’d pick a very boring bold sans-serif like bold Helvetica or whatever, but that’s not what people are used to.

--
David Rogers