Re: LilyPond v2.20.0 on Raspberry Pi OS (Debian buster)

From: renyhp
Subject: Re: LilyPond v2.20.0 on Raspberry Pi OS (Debian buster)
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 09:28:44 +0100

> Whoa, don't do that: it puts you on the path to a Frankendebian.
> https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

Luckily I knew something was wrong with that approach, and I did some
research about adding and pinning new repositories, so that I can
install lilypond from the testing repository with
$ sudo apt install -t testing lilypond
and making sure that the testing repository is not used for anything if
apt is doing its thing automatically.

>  lilypond : Depends: lilypond-data (= 2.20.0-2) but
> 2.19.81+really-2.18.2-13+deb10u1 is to be installed
>             Depends: libc6 (>= 2.29) but 2.28-10 is to be installed²
>             Depends: libcrypt1 (>= 1:4.1.0) but it is not installable
>             Depends: libgcc-s1 (>= 3.0) but it is not installable

I tried to install lilypond with a --dry-run and in fact I get a
different error:

 libc6-dev : Breaks: libgcc-8-dev (< 8.4.0-2~) but 8.3.0-6+rpi1 is to
 be installed

but I guess this is due to my system having different packages installed
than yours (although, it does seem strange that neither of libc6-dev or
libgcc-8-dev seem to be in the recursive dependencies of lilypond...)

> My own solution would be to consider either dual-booting the Pi4
> with buster and bullseye (I always set my disks up with two root
> filesystems), or acquiring a second Pi.

Sadly, that's not an option for me, since I'm using lilypond together
with other software installed on my Pi. I would have to install a
different OS altogether, which would be quite annoying.

If the path of installing debs is totally closed, is it possible to
make my own build?

Cheers,
  renyhp