Re: Line spacing (leading) of verses in a hymn

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Line spacing (leading) of verses in a hymn
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 15:09:31 -0800

On 2020-11-27 2:56 pm, Matthew Fong wrote:
Hello Aaron,

Ah, I didn't dig deeply enough!
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-within-systems#within_002dsystem-spacing-properties
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-within-systems#spacing-of-non_002dstaff-lines

Your example and the documentation are in perfect accord. And I played
around with it. However, when I plug it into my LilyPond file, it
*compresses* considerably (!) Please see attached picture. I put all my
Lyrics settings into your example and it still works as expected.

That would be my mistake. I forgot to also set minimum-distance so that it does not compress. My example works only because there is no pressure to reduce spacing.

Use the same value for basic-distance and minimum-distance, and it should work.

-- Aaron Hill