More than 16 MIDI instruments

From: ebenezer
Subject: More than 16 MIDI instruments
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 09:40:00 +0000

Hi everyone,
I'm creating my first Lilypond score, an arrangement of A Te O Cara.
I am using Frescobaldi and used the Score Wiazrd to get started.
I have now come across a MIDI limitation, a maximum of 16 instruments as I understand it.
I'm assuming I'm not the first to come across this limitation; what is the easiest way to accommodate more than 16 instruments within the constraints of a score structured this way? ...

\version "2.20.0"
\language "english"

\header {
  % ...
}

\paper {
  #(set-paper-size "a3")
}

\layout {

% ...
}

global = {
  \key d \major

% ...
}

flute = {
  \global
  % -- measures _0 to _7
  R1.  |
  r4.   r4.   r4.   a''4( a''16) a''16  |
  % ...
}

% ... more voices

flutePart = \new Staff \with {
  instrumentName = "Flute"
  shortInstrumentName = "Fl."
  midiInstrument = "flute"
} \flute

% ... more staves

\score {
  <<
    \flutePart
    % ... more parts

  \layout {
    \set Score.currentBarNumber = #0
  }
  \midi { }
}

If this structure is not conducive to implementing dynamic switching of MIDI instruments or whatever is required, I would consider changing it, but now rather than when I've completed the score!

Thank you for reading.