Stems push things away

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Stems push things away
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 18:38:26 +0100

Hello,

Sometimes stems push things that are outside-staff further outside, even with things like TabStaff, which removes the Stem stencil. Take this, for example:

\version "2.23.0"

\new TabStaff \with {
  \revert Stem.stencil
  \revert TextScript.stencil

  \consists "Timing_translator"
% \override Beam.quantized-positions = ##f
}{
    \time 2/4
    << { a,8^A a'^B } \\ { c''4 r4 } >>
}

The B is significantly higher than the A, because the calculated stem sticks outside the staff. This happens even when the stem stencil isn't reverted, but I reverted it to show what I think is going on. It happens without the Timing_translator as well, though it's less pronounced.

I would like to completely shut off the internal stem calculation in order to get the A and the B on the same level, but I can't figure out how. I was able to shut off the calculation for stem lengths by setting Beam.quantized-positions to false, but this results in lilypond errors.

Thanks for the help!
Brian Bartling

Hi,

Maybe something like this? Don't ask me why it works, I have no idea!

\version "2.23.0"

\layout {
  \context {
    \TabVoice