Re: Issue with \set chordChanges = ##t

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Issue with \set chordChanges = ##t
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 11:01:08 +0100

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 at 10:26, Kuredant <kuredant@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have some issues when using \set chordChanges = ##t as described in
> the "Showing chords at changes" of the documentation
> (https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/notation/displaying-chords).
>
> * When using \set chordChanges = ##t inside \new ChordNames, the chord
> names are moved below the staff, and are still repeated even if there is
> no change (see the attachment "chord-change-example-with-changes.pdf").
>
> * When using \set chordChanges = ##t inside \new ChordNames, with
> #ly:one-page-breaking, the generated PDF can't be opened (see the
> attachment "chord-change-example-with-changes-one-page-breaking.pdf").

Hello,

As stated in the documentation, \chords { … } is a shortcut notation for \new ChordNames \chordmode { … }.
NR 2.7.2 Displaying chords > Printing chord names
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/notation/displaying-chords.html#printing-chord-names

So if you are using \new ChordNames, then replace \chords by \chordmode in your file and all your problems are solved.
Here you are creating a new ChordNames context with the \chords command, which explains why your \set chordChanges = ##t is not working (applied to the "previous"  ChordNames context). Same explanation for the chords appearing below the Staff. For the  #ly:one-page-breaking PDF generation problem I do not have an explanation but you do not provide more infos either.

Cheers,
Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <x.scheuer@gmail.com>