Re: Typesetting output on one long line

From: Curt McDowell
Subject: Re: Typesetting output on one long line
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 18:18:24 -0800

Amy,

Recently I made a single-line scrolling video using LilyPond. Take a look at this monster... nobody else has yet :)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0qevLvmvCw

I had LilyPond output the whole thing as a single .png image. The image is so wide (60635 x 1082) that it immediately crashes utilities like ImageMagick. However, Gimp works on it.

I used this in the the .ly file:

  \paper {
    line-width = 600\in
    left-margin = 0.25\in
    right-margin = 0.25\in
    check-consistency = ##f
    page-count = 1
    indent = #0
    ragged-last-bottom = ##f
    ragged-right = ##f
    ragged-last = ##f
  }

  \header {
    tagline = ##f
  }

  #(set-global-staff-size 69)

and used the command:

lilypond -dbackend=eps -dno-gs-load-fonts -dinclude-eps-fonts -dpixmap-format=pngalpha --png Merry_Go.ly

Then I had a Python script to extract a sliding window of sub-images from the png and add background, used ffmpeg and other tools -- one filthy hack after another.

It looks like I maybe should have used 60Hz framerate instead of 30Hz.

Regards,
Curt