Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 218, Issue 81

From: Michael Seifert
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 218, Issue 81
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 09:17:31 -0500

        Hey there Ken,

        In Lilypond, hairpins always span from the point where you start them
to the next dynamic indication.  If you want to end a hairpin without another
printed dynamic indication, you use the \! command at the endpoint:

c4\< d4 e4 f4 g1\> c1\!

As far as how to play it, a piano can play a sustained note that decreases in
volume just fine — just don’t ask them to do a crescendo.  :-)  More seriously,
the screenshot you shared could indicate a gradual decrescendo in the left
hand.  It could just indicate that the notes to follow are quieter.  A skilled
live pianist can convey a sense of intensity or quietness via body language,
even if the notes don’t actually get louder or quieter.  Or it could just be
that an unskilled composer or transcriptionist just wrote the music down and
didn’t consider whether it was feasible.

        Take care,

        Mike Seifert