Re: page-limit-inter-system-space

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: page-limit-inter-system-space
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2021 16:47:18 +0000

On 2/9/21, 8:57 AM, "lilypond-user on behalf of Richard Shann"
<lilypond-user-bounces+carl.d.sorensen=gmail.com@gnu.org on behalf of
richard@rshann.plus.com> wrote:

    Looking in the second link you gave, where the feature was removed, I
    don't see an explanation as to why it was removed: so I wonder if there
    is some other way of limiting the system to system spacing so that it
    spreads out to fill the page only to a limited extent. I can always
    manually insert blank space after the movement, but it would be nicer
    not to have to design the amount of space every time it happens -
    indeed nicer not to have to intervene at all.

The feature was removed because the page-spacing algorithm was completely
redone.  The new spacing algorithm is more configurable, but it is not clear
that the default settings are optimal.  It is also not clear that users can
effectively use the spacing values based on the listings in the Notation
Reference.  This probably cries out for an entry in the Learning Manual about
how to use the vertical spacing variables.

Here's a thread that shows some suggestions for changes to the default values.
I have not tried them to see how well they work.

https://lilypond-user.gnu.narkive.com/xebxLJaX/request-for-engraving-suggestions

HTH,

Carl