Re: Custom Format

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Custom Format
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2021 11:55:38 +0200

The issue of black notes is a red herring.  Even if you restrict
yourself to one pitch, "A" let's say, you will find that there isn't a
single correct value for it. The A which is a major third above F is not
the same pitch as the A that is fourth fifths (less two octaves) from F
(if anyone interested is reading this, I urge you to try the math for
yourself - it's usually quite a surprise to everyone the first time). So
even if you just want to tune two white notes you run into problems.

And for those who want to see this precise problem in a musical context, consider:

\version "2.22.0"

\relative {
}

The following three requirements cannot be fulfilled at the same time:

- have tied notes be sustained without adjusting their pitch midway,
- have "in-tune" triads (ie. major triad 4:5:6, minor triad at least with a perfect fifth)
- have identically tuned c's in the first and last chord.

So, even a basic I-IV-ii-V-I progression poses serious tuning problems.

Lukas