Re: centralising markups above notes

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: centralising markups above notes
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 14:31:06 +0200

Please keep the list copied.

Gilberto Agostinho <gilbertohasnofb@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi David,
>
> On 09/04/2021 12:32, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Where does the documentation suggest that \center-align (and similar)
>> does anything to a single item?  It aligns the things passed to it, not
>> their outside.
>
> See the Text alignment section in
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/notation/formatting-text
> it clearly makes use of a single item with \center-align.

Well, seems like my recollection hasn't caught up to

commit 6f3f8f0fceed3b318c2572337e7dca83e4a11f6c
Author: Janek WarchoĊ‚ <lemniskata.bernoullego@gmail.com>
Date:   Mon Jun 23 23:30:49 2014 +0200

    TextScript, CombineTextScript: use aligned_on_parent

    I think this makes more sense than just using "self-alignment".
    It makes these grobs consistent with Lyrics and Dynamics, and
    allows users to override their alignment more predictably.

    Expected changes in output: TextScripts and CombineTextScripts
    will be aligned slightly different when the user sets self-alignment-X
    explicitly (parent notehead will be included in alignment, as in Lyrics).
    Default placement should remain the same.

    I'm also changing one regtest, just to make sure that despite slightly
    changed alignment the markups will stick out far enough to the left.

--
David Kastrup