Re: readline for guile

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Re: readline for guile
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 09:57:43 -0700

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 5:36 AM Andrew Culver
<culver@anarchicharmony.org> wrote:

> Here is scheme-sandbox.ly that comes with my v2.22 install:
>
> \version "2.16.0"
>
> #(load-user-init)
>
> % This loads the user's .guile file for interactive sessions.
> % One typical thing you might want to put there is
> % (use-modules (ice-9 readline))
> % (activate-readline)
> % in order to activate command line editing for interactive sessions.
> % You need libreadline support and the respective Guile module to be
> % installed for that.  In Debian, for example, this is part of the
> % guile-1.8-libs package.  Depending on your system and version, the
> % requirements may be different.
>
> #(newline)
> #(cond-expand
>    (guile-2
>      (begin
>        (use-modules (system repl repl))
>        (start-repl)))
>    (else (scm-style-repl)))
>

> The comments say to “put in there” the two commands for readline
> functionality.
>
> % (use-modules (ice-9 readline))
> % (activate-readline)
>
> I have tried without success.
>
> Where to these two lines go in the script?

I think they're supposed to go in a file called ".guile" in your home
directory, but when I tried this I get:

$ lilypond scheme-sandbox.ly
GNU LilyPond 2.20.0
Processing
`/home/<user>/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/ly/scheme-sandbox.ly'
Parsing...
/home/<user>/lilypond/current/ly/scheme-sandbox.ly:3:2: error: GUILE
signaled an error for the expression beginning here
#
 (load-user-init)
readline is not provided in this Guile installation