Re: Nashville Number System, again

From: Amelie Protscher
Subject: Re: Nashville Number System, again
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 21:04:45 +0200

Hi Elaine, Jacques,

indeed the Jianpu system is somewhat similar, so some routines could
probably be taken from there.

Regarding the Nashville system, the ruleset is as follows:

FORMAL:

Key, time signature, feel, tempo, and title are stated on top of chart.

Every section gets a new line, with the section name on the left.

Lines in sections may break after 4 or 8 bars (or however long the
phrase is)

HARMONIC:

Chord roots and inversions are given as scale degrees, e.g. 1/3 for a
first-inversion major tonic.

Chord type is stated as in jazz notation, i.e. 1-maj7 for a minor/major
tonic.

Measures where no chord is being played (general pauses) are denoted X.

Modulations are stated by the new tonic as superscript (Key of Eb) or
relatively (Key: fourth up).

RHYTHMIC:

Held chords (let ring) are denoted by a diamond around the chord symbol.

Diamonds can be tied.

Stops/breaks are denoted with superscript marcato: ^

When there are multiple chords per measure, chords of one measure are
underlined. There are no bar lines in Nashville charts.

If the chords in one measure aren't held for equal amounts of time, each
chord on the underline receives as many superscript dots as it has beats.

If the chord change is anticipated by 1/8th, this is denoted by
superscript <. If the anticipation is by a 16th, the superscript is «.
This has to be the leftmost superscript over that chord symbol.

If the chord change is delayed by 1/16th (rare), this is denoted by
superscript ». This has to be the rightmost superscript over that chord
symbol.

One-off measures with a different number of beats are notated in
parentheses and the chord symbol within the parentheses receives as many
superscript dots as the measure has beats.

That's it. Maybe this helps gauge how much effort this would be.

Cheers,

Amy