Re: run error Lilypond-book on Windows 10

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: run error Lilypond-book on Windows 10
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 14:19:07 -0500

On Fri 06 Aug 2021 at 18:55:13 (+0100), Archer Endrich wrote:

> However, there was an earlier version in my 2.18.2 Lilypond, so I
> renamed that to disable it and added a full path to my 2.22.1
> lilypond-book in my batch file.

[ … ]

> When I run the batch files, Windows keeps asking me "How do you want
> to open this py file?" but does not give be a Browse option. Notice
> the "access is denied" message in the command line display after
> running.  (I haven't actually been able to specify that I want
> LilyPond to run it.

[ … ]

> C:\P3L\lpbk>C:\Lilypond2221\usr\bin\lilypond-book --output=out --pdf
> ALMdurasnumber.lytex
> Access is denied.

That might well be a consequence of your action above, which would
support the notion of picking up an old python2 version. (Linux's
2.18.2 from the LP website appears to use 2.4.5, whereas Debian
buster's system version is 2.7.16).

> Maybe David Wright's suggestion was correct, namely that "Something
> looks odd about C:\Lilypond2221\usr\bin\lilypond-book.py
> in that I would expect either C:\Lilypond2221\bin\lilypond-book
> or C:\Lilypond2221\LILYPOND\usr\bin\lilypond-book where LILYPOND
> is either lowercase or camelcase (I have seen both). "
>
> Perhaps lilypond-book needs that path -- but my normal LilyPond
> notation works OK with my 'odd' path.

Bear in mind I don't know what the top of the LP installation
directory structure looks like on windows, only on linux.
I have no way of checking, either, because the windows download
(I assume it's "mingw") is a inscrutable exe file, as opposed to
a shell script followed by a standard compressed tar archive.

All I can say is that if you're running lilypond-book, juggling
calls to LP, Python and TeX, it's probably important to get all
the PATHs and file associations sorted out. You may need the
help of someone who runs a more similar system.

Cheers,
David.