Re: translation-type? vs. backend-type?

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: translation-type? vs. backend-type?
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 19:56:03 +0200

Hi David & Jean,

thanks much for the explanations and clarifications!

Part b) failed with current LilyPond: "can't find property type-check
for `instrument' (translation-type?)" (I'm not sure if a) and c) work
or just were not being in an active code path).
The error message is entirely unrelated to b).  Any correlation must be
due to different code paths getting exercised.  The problem is that a
context property "instrument" is being set without being defined, and
the change flagging the preexisting problem may possibly be

commit e44bc2cc48f9fb714603bdb5f8db532d55374087
Author: Neil Puttock <n.puttock@gmail.com>
Date:   Thu Apr 30 20:29:09 2009 +0100

     Add type-checking to \tweak.

in version 2.13.1

Argh, my bad: I wanted to give the english version of the error message and searched for it, but then forgot about adjusting to the actual message I got. So please forget about "instrument", that's an artifact of my stupidity.

The actual warning was:

Warnung: Eigenschafts-Typprüfung für »mensural_ligature_queue« (translation-type?) kann nicht gefunden werden. vielleicht ein Tippfehler?
Warnung: Zuweisung wird übersprungen

Is this correct? And if so, when did this change between 2.12 and
2.22, seeing as the above code seems to have worked in 2011?
This has been around since at least 2.7 or longer.  No change here.

Ok, so then I remain unclear as to why the original code seemingly worked with 2.12. But at the end of the day, I don't care that much: 'translation-type it is then, for what should be a \set'table context property.

Thanks much!

Lukas