Documentation of horizontal spacing

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Documentation of horizontal spacing
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 13:30:55 +0200

Hello!

Sometimes Lilypond can run a bit wider than engraved scores would do. The
official way to mitigate this (as given by the Documentation) is setting
Score.SpacingSpanner.base-shortest-duration. Sometimes this does not give the
result we want, so we need to use different spacing parameters like
Score.SpacingSpanner.spacing-increment and —.—.shortest-duration-space
(especially since this also gives us some control over proportions).

I think this should be part of the documentation, as I can be a vital thing
for making Lilypond behave.

I’ve included an example of different spacings achieved using these
parameters, and an example of Mozart’s KV 545, where the default settings fail
to achieve the thightness of the 16th notes that in seen in engraved scores,
while using custom spacing yields a nice result without any further tweaks.

Cheers,
Valentin