Re: Default accidental style for PianoStaff

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Default accidental style for PianoStaff
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 12:25:03 -0500

On Wed 18 Aug 2021 at 18:18:04 (+0200), Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> Le 18/08/2021 à 17:23, Knute Snortum a écrit :
> > That clarifies things, thanks.
> >
> > What would you think about changing the documentation to say something
> > like, "If this accidental style is applied to a Staff, it will apply
> > to all staves within the enclosing PianoStaff or GrandStaff"?
>
> It would be nice to reword this passage. "If this
> accidental style is applied to a Staff" does not
> exactly reflect what is happening, though: the
> accidental style never goes through the Staff, but
> jumps to the GrandStaff directly. In other words,
>
> \accidentalStyle piano
>
> is equivalent to
>
> \accidentalStyle GrandStaff.piano
>
> whereas
>
> \accidentalStyle default
>
> is the same as
>
> \accidentalStyle Staff.default
>
> How to phrase this in a way that would make it
> clear to you?

When I looked at the paragraph in question:

"This accidental style applies to the current GrandStaff or PianoStaff by
default"

I wasn't immediately clear about what "default" implied,
particularly as "default" is also the defined name of one of the
types of automatic accidental style being discussed in this section.
(There are references to the name "default" scattered throughout
the section.)

So I would suggest that the wording be made more explicit:

  "This accidental style applies to the current GrandStaff or PianoStaff
   unless qualified in scope with a second argument."

Ditto for:

  "This accidental style applies to the current ChoirStaff
   unless qualified in scope with a second argument."

I would also suggest changing the paragraph near the start of the
section to eliminate "default" there as well:

  "The accidental style normally applies to the current Staff
   (with the exception of the styles

   choral,   ← this addition was overlooked

   piano and piano-cautionary, which are explained below).
   Optionally, the function can take a second argument that
   determines in which scope the style should be changed.
   For example, …"

Cheers,
David.