Re: Stanzas and refrain

From: JxStarks
Subject: Re: Stanzas and refrain
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 16:34:29 -0400

Hi Carlos,

I do a lot of this sort of thing for my church. I usually use the following format:

\header { }
global { }
chordNames \ chordmode { \global chord, chord, chord, etc.}
melody = \relative c '' { \global   music, music, music, etc }
verse = \lyricmode { \set stanza = "1. " words, words, words, etc, chorus }

\score {
  <<
    \new ChordNames \chordNames
    \new Staff { \melody }
    \addlyrics { \verse }
    \addlyrics { \set stanza = "2. " words, words, words, etc (no chorus) }
    \addlyrics { \set stanza = "3. " words, words, words, etc (no chorus) }

Ths words for the chorus only need to be in Verse 1, unless they change each time. Also, because I'm old, I add this after the '\set stanza' at the beginning of each word section:
\override LyricText font-size = 3
That makes it a lot easier for these old eyes to read.

Good luck with your work!

Jerry