Re: Printing two staves in the same place (overlaying)

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Printing two staves in the same place (overlaying)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 11:38:53 +0200

On Mon, 20 Sept 2021 at 11:26, Daniel Benjamin Miller <dbmiller@dbmiller.org> wrote:

> This works quite well for overlaying two staves.
>
> Now, I want to do something a little more complex, but in the same way, and I'm trying to figure out the vertical axis group tweak necessary for doing this.
>
> I want to have two staff groups, one layered on top of another.
>
> Basically, I am already able to layer one staff on top of another --- call them A and B --- where A contains the musical content I want to include and B is a dummy staff (into which I will copy the notes of a given system as found in staff A, in order to selectively put the staff group bracket over the "one staff" A).
>
> Basically, I am looking to do this for a grouper that encompasses two parts. Here's a mockup of what I'm trying to do:
>
> Does anyone have advice? I've spent some time trying to tweak the vertical properties, but (so far) haven't figured it out. Of course, as a last resort, I could move the notes from one pair of parts to another at layout time, but this setup would be preferable for me if it's possible to do.

Hello Daniel,

If I understand correctly, I think you can use a combination of "Keep_alive_together_engraver", VerticalAxisGroup.remove-layer and keepAliveInterfaces as documented in NR 1.6.2 Modifying single staves > Hiding staves
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/notation/modifying-single-staves#hiding-staves

I use it regularly for staff divisi and it is usually successful.

Cheers,
Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <x.scheuer@gmail.com>