Re: Multiple staffs for a div. section

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Multiple staffs for a div. section
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 10:07:43 +0200

On Wed, 29 Sept 2021 at 08:56, Evan Driscoll <evaned@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am probably missing something fundamental in my LilyPond knowledge that would help with the following question, but I'm not sure what it is, and I'm having a lot more difficulty than normal figuring out what to look for in the manual.
>
> Anyway, the piece starts off in unison, then has a div. section written on multiple staffs, then comes back together.
>
> I can get multiple staffs with
>     <<
>         { ...top part.. }
>         \new Staff { ...bottom part ...}
>     >>
> but what I really want is a staff group. The bracket on the left would be nice, but even more critical are the shared barlines.
>
> However, I can't figure out how to get a \new StaffGroup to work. If I use it as shown in the manual (but for the top-level staff creation) with my two inside, then I get *three* staves, the first one just empty.
>
> LilyBin exemplar with a couple of my attempts: http://lilybin.com/ul6alr/5

Hello,

In this case I typically use a combination of Keep_alive_together_engraver and VerticalAxisGroup.remove-layer with keepAliveInterfaces.
See NR 1.6.2 Modifying single staves > Hiding staves
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/notation/modifying-single-staves.html#hiding-staves

Cheers,
Xavier

--