Re: Terminology question

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: Terminology question
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 22:40:04 +0100

That is somewhat correct. The *extraction* of parts is something that only
makes sense in times of computer score representation, as you’d extract a part
of the information from a full score. Before that parts would have been
separate scores prepared by the editor. So in this sense „extraction” does not
really make sense. And in the case of unpublished works you’d have a so called
copyist, which was usually some musician in the orchestra who’d hand write
parts from the full score for the whole orchestra. So this is what *copying*
would be.

Cheers,
Valentin