Re: Transposing pitches in the lilypond file itself?

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Transposing pitches in the lilypond file itself?
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 21:25:34 +0000

On 12/01/2022 04:26, Alasdair McAndrew wrote:
I'm not quite sure how to search online for this, hence my asking here. I'm doing a little bit of arranging of some baroque pieces for specific instruments, which usually requires some transposition.  I can transpose within the lilypond file so that the output score has the correct (transposed) notes, but what I really want is to have the transposed notes in the lilypond file itself.  This means I can print out the score without needing to transpose anything.  So basically I want to change an input from, say
\transpose c,f {c d e f}

to simply

{f g a bf}

In other words, I want the transposition in the file itself, not just in the typeset output.  Is there a way of doing this - maybe with an external command (I'm using Linux)?
Thank you very much,

Playing the trombone as I do, I have music in both treble clef (Bb), and bass clef (concert). So I *AlWAYS* wrap my input in a transpose.

With a bass clef part I do

notes = \transpose c' c' { c d e f g a b c' }

and with treble I do

notes = \transpose c' bf { c d e f g a b c' }

That way, I know (a) that "notes" is ALWAYS concert pitch, and (B) whether my original music was in bass or treble clef (that can be important :-)

Then, when I'm outputting, in my score block I do

\score {
  \clef treble (
    \transpose bf c' { \notes }

or

\score {
  \clef bass (
    \transpose c' c' { \notes }

So actually I'm ALWAYS doing TWO transpositions, but because notes is always concert pitch it is easy to keep track of what's going on. And if I want the output to be the same as the input I know all I do is reverse the original transposition. Not quite what you're asking for, but hopefully a better solution to your problem. Not least because you can proof the output and know you haven't messed up the transposition.

Cheers,
Wol