Alignment of custom dynamics

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Alignment of custom dynamics
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 20:32:39 +0100

Hello,

LSR 393 contains many methods to align a piece of custom dynamics text like
"sub. pp" or something on the dynamics, with each methods having some
drawbacks, like using TextScript, overriding X-offset, adding nonsensical
horizontal space at the end, setting the dimensions of the text to (0,0),
(0,0), using translation in the markup and setting X-offset.

I’ve come up with a nice method that achieves this with much less effort and
caveats.

The idea is to create a markup command to wrap (ly:stencil-combine-at-edge
markup2 X LEFT markup1 nice-value-for-padding) and then define our #(make-
dynamic-script ...) with the dynamics centered and the text added to the left
using this command.

Now we only need to prevent the self-alignment-interface to center this thing
again, which we can do by simply tweaking self-alignment-X to #f.

We can of course also do this to add to the right, though this does not
require such a custom function. The important thing is that the "first" (not
counting markups added to the left) markup is centered.

So I thought I’d share this with you.

Cheers,
Valentin