Re: Font kerning

From: Francesco Napoleoni
Subject: Re: Font kerning
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 17:57:37 +0100

In data lunedì 14 febbraio 2022 00:19:11 CET, Joel C. Salomon ha scritto:
> On 2/7/2022 11:53 AM, Francesco Napoleoni wrote:
> > How can I adjust (if possible) such property in a markup block?
> >
> > namely I would like to “shrink” the “V.° I.°” and the “V.° 2.°” text like
> > the attached screenshot.
>
> I wonder whether you’re using the wrong symbol, and using the correct
> one might help a little.  Your code is using the degree sign “°” U+B0,
> when by context this should probably be the masculine ordinal indicator
> “º” U+BA.

Yes, I know that there are more appropriate symbols, but I have to conform as
much as possible to the original layout, which uses superscript “o”
everywhere. Indeed this makes sense since the little “o” is the last letter of
every abbreviated word: “Violin_o_ prim_o_” and “Violin_o_ second_o_”, so I
ended up writing something like this (inside \markup):

\concat { "V." \hspace #-0.4 \normal-size-super o "I." \hspace #-0.6 \normal-
size-super o }

which produces an output very similar to the original.

As a matter of fact the original text is an italian publication dated 1885, so
you’re right, it’s quite old.

Anyway, thanks for your contribution.

bye
Francesco Napoleoni