Improving this "Markup anywhere" snippet

From: Colin Baguley
Subject: Improving this "Markup anywhere" snippet
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 18:28:48 +0000

I wonder whether any of you Lilypond wizards could help me work out how to improve my Lilypond scores.
Most of my embellishments come from reading/copying bits of code from this forum - but I admit I don't always fully understand why things work. However, I have this 'snippet' which I call "Markup anywhere", which basically allows a markup to be added without disrupting any of the positioning of other items.
What I would like is to know how it can be improved - so that I can use it without copying large chunks of code whenever it is required. The amended markup is demonstrated here:-

c1^\markup { \null \with-dimensions #'(0 . 0) #'(0 . 0)
                \translate #'(-10.0 . -4.0)
                \override #'(font-name ."Tahoma bold italic")
                \fontsize #-2 \with-color #(x11-color "LimeGreen")
                \box \box \whiteout
              "Put your text here"

Could this be streamlined and generalised somehow, and yet still be able to accept various variable to alter position/colour etc

I've attached a lilypond file which demonstrates what I mean.

Just as a side note - why does the \whiteout not work perfectly?

Thank you for reading this and I appreciate any thoughts, amendments, and suggestions.

Colin Baguley