Re: Page turning in song book: Only \scores with more than 1 page should

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: Page turning in song book: Only \scores with more than 1 page should be forced to start on even page number
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 00:43:07 +0100

Hello Johannes,

using page-turn-breaking only acts like this if ragged-bottom is set to #t
(which should be considered as weird behaviour). I suppose what’s happening
there is that with ragged-bottom set to #t there is no demerit for short
pages, as the pages are not stretched out (which is the thing that would get
demerits). This means that there is no demerit to breaking in every possible
place, which I think is one of the first solutions tried by the breaking
algorithm. Thus even if we find a shorter solution of equal demerit we won’t
use it.

I’d suggest we should add a very small demerit for solutions with lots of
pages so that with configurations with the same overall demerit the one with
less pages is preferred.

E.g. changing line 124 in page-turn-page-breaking.cc to
ret.demerits_ = result.demerits_ + static_cast<Real>(ret.page_count_)/1000;
we do already get better behaviour (although probably not the best, for some
weird reason it allows compression of pages when it is not nescessary, like
here

\paper {
  page-breaking = #ly:page-turn-breaking
  ragged-bottom = ##t
}

{\repeat unfold 20 c1 }
{\repeat unfold 20 c1 }
{\repeat unfold 20 c1 }
{\repeat unfold 40 c1 }
{\repeat unfold 20 c1 }
{\repeat unfold 100 c1 }
{\repeat unfold 20 c1 }
{\repeat unfold 20 c1 }
{\repeat unfold 20 c1 }
{\repeat unfold 20 c1 }
{\repeat unfold 200 c1 }

on page 2). It might also be sensible to add a small demerit depending on the
free whitespace to enforce a more even distribution of whitespace.

Cheers,
Valentin